Monday, January 15, 2018

Phrasal verbs C

Phrasal verbs beginning with C

Call in: Call in for a cup of coffee when you are in town.
Call off: They had to call the meeting off because their partners asked for more time to decide on conditions.
Calm down: They had a hard time in their relationship but now everything seems to have calmed down.
Care: She cares for her younger sister.
Carry on: The light went out but the surgeon insisted on carrying on with the operation.
Carry out: I hope she will carry out her research as it may be a real breakthrough.
Catch up: You will have to work harder in order to catch up with the rest of the team.
Cheat on: She had a nervous breakdown when she discovered that her husband has been cheating on her.
Check in: All the passengers should check in one hour before the departure.
Check off: Please check off all the names on the list to make sure everyone's present.
Check out: can somebody check out who is at the door?
Check out: She checked out early in the morning and continued her journey.
Check up on: I hate when he checks up on me to be sure that I go where I tell him.
Cheer up: She went to the hairdresser to cheer herself up after the test.
Chew something over: OK. There is no need to hurry - you can just chew it over and give the answer next week.
Chill out: Oh, come on! Get a drink and chill out!
Chip in: We all chipped in for our parents' present.
Clean up: Clean up your room before you leave.
Clear something out: Next weekend I'm going to finally clear my wardrobe out.
Clear something up: Yes, we had an argument but we cleared it up already.
Clear up: The weather's clearing up.
Cloud over: as the sky clouded over, we had to resign from sunbathing that day.
Come about: He said he had no idea how all these things may have come about in his company.
Come across: John came across as being an extremely shy person.
Come across: I came across this precious painting while I was tidying my basement.
Come apart: we need a new bed; the old one is coming apart.
Come around/round: as she was the only witness of the accident, the police officer waited tillshe came round to ask her some questions.
Come back: don't wait for me; I don't know when I'll be coming back.
Come down: This shelf is overloaded! It may come down any minute!
Come down on: the press came down on his new play.
Come down with: He came down with flu and had to stay in bed.
Come out: The first issue of this newspaper came out in 1956.
Come out with: She came out with her accusations quite unexpectedly.
Count on: You can always count on Jim in situation like this.
Cross out: Your essay is too long - cross some sentences out.
Cuddle up: I often cuddle up to my pony when I feel unhappy.
Cut down: I think you should cut down hours you spend in front of computer screen.
Cut down on: I try to cut down on sweets and coffee.
Cut in: He cursed and slammed on the brakes as the car suddenly cut in in front of him.
Cut in: She shows no respect to anyone - she is always cutting in! No matter who is speaking?
Cut off: Electricity has been cut off for the whole week.

No comments:

Post a Comment